Sunday, October 25, 2009

Breeba, Moosa and Little Lamb, oh my!

hooray for choosing my own clothes!

Hmm. Where to start? Here's an update on Evelyn and what she's up to. She's about to turn 4, but she reminds us that she loves being 3 and "I'm good at being 3!" Some things that she enjoys are cats, dancing, learning how to read and playing with her "guys" (aka-stuffed animals). Her favorite "guys" these days are Breeba (a large, purple My Little Pony), Moosa (a white kitty) and Little Lamb (a stuffed sheep, as you may have guessed). She's also a good helper--when she wants to be--and likes doing things for Edison, like finding and giving him his blankie when he's sad.
watching the rain

These days she keeps asking for a pet cat. I keep hoping that the requests will die down, but there aren't any signs yet that she'll change her mind. Maybe I shouldn't be so anti-pet, but I just have no desire to have and take care of a cat. Perhaps Evelyn will wear me down at some point, but not right now. She's being pacified a little bit by having a cat-themed birthday party in a couple of weeks, so I'm trying to come up with some good cat related games, making cat shaped brownies and cat ears for all of the party crowd to wear during the party. Oh, and perhaps you can guess what Evelyn's going to be for Halloween....

copying Edison's peek-a-boo; the big bandage on her head is from when she ran into the wall and split her head open (which healed on its own w/o stitches)

Evelyn is doing well learning how to read. She's venturing out on her own a bit more and trying to read words here and there, like at the grocery store or looking at food labels during lunch. And speaking of venturing out, she's starting to "come out of her shell." She has always been pretty shy around new people, but in the past few weeks she's played with new kids at the park, talked to someone at the post office ("Can I tell him the name of my sheep?"), and told a librarian about the new movie she was checking out, while dancing around with excitement.

finger painting, but not too sure about it

The other day she said something that just made me laugh. A few weeks ago we talked about acorns in preschool, and while we were out getting the mail the ground under a tree was covered with acorns. Here was our conversation:
Marie: What do acorns grow up to be?
Evelyn: Trees. I wish I was a tree.
Marie: Why do you wish you were a tree?
Evelyn: 'Cause then I wouldn't have to eat the dinners you make.
Gee, thanks. At least I know she was listening in preschool. :P

3 comments:

The Coxes said...

I love the picture of Evelyn with her arm around Edison....very sweet. :) My kids probably wish they were trees, too, if that meant they didn't have to eat what I make for dinner! Kendy

Suzanne said...

lol. Evelyn, there are probably days that your mom wishes you were a tree, too. jk. :)

Cindy said...

I like that picture too! I really like the last one, though. Blogs are the best :):):)