Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Updates

I don't know how a month can pass by so quickly. It usually feels like I've recently posted, but when I turn around, it's been about a month. Oh, well. Here is a quick update of the happenings in the Hinckley household:

The new preschool year has been going on for about 1 1/2 months, and I'm enjoying it. The curriculum I use is great, and the kids seem to be enjoying it. I still need to work on how to keep Edison engaged and not into their stuff, but that's a different story.

David started his job at match.com a few weeks ago, and he's really enjoying it. He is on their email team, so he gets to answer a lot of questions, help fix problems, and help keep customers happy. He enjoys the challenge of needing to say (write) the right thing to help the customer feel better about their problem/situation. He also likes the people that he works with, and the atmosphere at match is pretty laid back (or so it seems to me). It's kind of weird to have him go to work in jeans....

As for the kids, I'll do individual posts on them, with pictures. But suffice it to say that they keep me busy, and I am so glad I'm able to be at home with them.
In other news, it's birthday season in our home: Edison turned 1 at the end of August, my birthday was last month, Evelyn turns 4 (!) in a few weeks, and then David's birthday is 2 weeks after that. And then we jump right into the holiday season, so I'm trying to be on top of things this year so that I'm not scrambling (like last year). Hopefully all of my projects and homemade gifts will work out alright....



2 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for putting up the fun blog info. I think it is funny to have David going to work in jeans too! He has always been such a big proponent of immaculate grooming, that it is ironic that the new job has such a casual dress code. In my humble opinion, that is the best kind :):):)

Suzanne said...

Kendall gets to go to work in jeans, too. His kind of work environment. :)

I don't know if these would work for Edison since he's a year younger, but here are a few things that have helped keep Miriam busy during preschool activities: 1) Give her a glass of water and a paintbrush and let her sit at the table and "paint" with the big kids. 2) Have a carpet square ready for her and let her participate in circle time (i.e. we say her name in the hello song, I have a chore clothespin for her, too, and she gets a turn at show and tell). 3) This was more effective when she was younger and didn't care as much about doing exactly what the big kids were doing, but you could have a box or laundry basket full of toys and activities that Edison is only allowed to play with during preschool. It's worth a few dollars at the dollar store for the peace during preschool. You can also get creative and put in old containers, make balls out of scraps of paper from preschool, etc. Trade out the toys periodically to keep his interest. 4) When the children practice writing or coloring or do a craft, I let Miriam sit at the table and color too (sometimes on the sheet with the craft instructions, sometimes I've printed out coloring pages of items I know she's interested in). We also have some of those markers that only color on a special kind of paper for when the preschool kids are using markers (so she doesn't want crayons). 5) I make sure I give Miriam some one on one attention while the kids are having free play time after snack.

This comment is getting really long, but hopefully this gives you a few ideas. We can talk more on the phone if you need more ideas. Good luck!